Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Scary movie for Halloween

I am not a big fan of being scared. I hate gory movies and am a pretty big scaredy cat. I would never go into an abandoned building, would never investigate a strange sound in the night (isn't that what husbands are for?) and I doubt I would ever be the one to volunteer to kill the monsters if our world were taken over by aliens. I get paralyzed when I am scared. What a wimp. That said, my movie recommendation may be scarier to me than to you, but it really freaked me out. The movie "1408" was freaky. John Cusak is in it, which is one of its perks, in my opinion. Bil rented it and I had to leave the room a few times because I was so scared. Here's the thing, it was more the suspense that scared me than actual scary stuff. Does that make sense?

The movie is about an author who reviews supposedly haunted hotels and such in his books. Basically, he doesn't believe in ghosts or the paranormal, but is intrigued when he hears about room 1408 in the Dolphin Hotel. No one is allowed to check into this room, so of course, Mike becomes hell-bent on staying the night in the room. According to all the stories, no one lasts more than an hour in the room and some really crazy stuff has happened to people who stayed there. I won't give it away, but it was scary, I think. It left some questions unresolved (like why is the room so evil?) but overall was pretty interesting. Anyway, I found myself ruminating over the movie for several days afterwards, so I can definitely say it intrigued me. So, if you are in the mood for a scary movie that is not rated R and has very little gore, check it out. And let me know what you think of it.

No comments: