Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Joan of Arcadia

Bil and I have no cable, and because we live in the boondocks, we cannot get the major networks. In fact, all we get on our TV is static and snow. So, for the last 3 and a half years, we have watched almost no television. It was hard to get used to at first, but now I really enjoy being TV-free. I get a lot more done and don't find myself vegging out in front of shows I don't even like, as I used to do. Oh, the hours I wasted in front of "Dr. Phil."


Anyway, this TV fast definitely puts me at a disadvantage during pop culture conversations. Sadly, I don't know who I want to win "Dancing with the Stars" and I have no idea if Dr. Grey has finally gotten together with Dr. McDreamy. I guess I'll live. The great thing is our library carries a lot of DVDs from past seasons of TV shows. Recently, Bil and I watched the entire first season of "Arrested Development," which was quite funny, if a bit off color at times and very, very cynical.


One show that I can totally recommend is "Joan of Arcadia," which is about a girl to whom God appears and gives assignments. I know it smacks of "Touched By An Angel," but it is actually so good. I borrowed the whole first season on DVD from the library and we have been making our way through the episodes. I am really sad that this show was canceled in its second season. It is a really funny, intelligent show that makes you think about God, the universe, the purpose of life and how we are all connected. It is not at all preachy; in fact, the characters can often be quite cynical and regularly struggle with difficulties, and most especially with the question of why God lets us suffer if He loves us so much. It asks a lot of questions and allows the viewers to form their answers themselves. I'd highly recommend it if you can borrow it from the library.

No comments: