Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The P-List, Part 2

I'm back again with a few more new and favorite discoveries of mine. Thought you might be interested.

"Amazing Grace"

This movie was incredible. I rented it with very little idea of what it was about. I was incredbily moved by the story of William Wilberforce who worked tirelessly for decades to abolish slavery in Great Britain. For days, I have been thinking about this movie and the people it portrayed who gave up so much for what they believed in, and I wondered if I would do the same. It was sobering to think of how much courage it must have taken to do battle with all the slaveholders in England. Truly an ispirational movie. I will never listen to the hymn "Amazing Grace" the same again.


Lindt Lindor Chocolate Truffles

Bil decided to give me my Valentine's present early and I have been enjoying these truffles wholheartedly. They come in 5 flavors, including toffee, peanut butter, and white chocolate and are delectable. I highly recommend them if you are in the mood for some sinfully rich chocolate.

"Joni Mitchell SongBook: Rivers" by Herbie Hancock

This is another V-Day gift from Bil and it is an awesome cd. Very soulful jazz. Nora Jones and Leonard Cohen are among some of the artists featured on this cd. I have only listened to it once, but I really enjoyed it. Even Danny loved it (and he normally makes me turn off cds that he doesn't choose); at one point he was sang along to the song, making up the words as he went.

Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter from Peanut Butter and Co.

It was a great day for me when I discovered this delicious chocolate peanut butter. It is just the right combination of sweet and salty, not cloying like a Reese's peanut butter cup. I have become fairly addicted to this peanut butter and eat it almost every morning on my whole wheat waffles. It actually has 20 fewer calories than regular peanut butter, so even more reason to eat it.

"An Anthropologist on Mars" by Oliver Sacks

Rebecca lent me her copy of this book while I was in Texas and I love it. Oliver Sacks is a neurologist and in the book discusses case studies of brain disorders and what he terms "different-brained people." For example, he tells the story of a painter who now suffers from complete color blindness after an accident. Complete color blindness is pretty rare, but what I found fascinating that the painter was even unable to dream in color and was beginning to lose his memory of color. Sacks also talks about how these disorders shapes these people's lives. I can't wait to get to the chapter on Temple Grandin, a pretty famous writer with autism.

Good Reads website

http://www.goodreads.com/
Here's another great find from Rebecca. This is a great website where you can discuss books with other people, make lists of recommended books to share with friends and read what others have to say about your favorite books. It is really fun to browse.

No comments: