Saturday, June 7, 2008

"C" is not for "Cookie" anymore


Apparently, in an attempt to educate kids, Sesame Street is trying to lighten up Cookie Monster so he will be a more nutritious role model. Instead of his famous "C is for Cookie" line, he now says "Cookies are a sometimes food." You can read the blog post here:


While I applaud Sesame Street for trying to be so responsible in helping to fight the rising rates of childhood obesity, I have some mixed feelings about this. I mean, do they (or anyone) think that a blue furry monster on a TV show is really to blame for kids eating too many cookies?

For some reason, I am feeling irrationally protective of my second favorite Sesame Street character (I really have a soft spot for Mr. Snufleupagus). Couldn't they have found a better way to educate kids about nutrition? Where's the fun in a cookie monster who no longer sings the praises of cookies? I just feel a bit bummed out about this and I am not entirely sure why.

I obviously do not want my children to suffer from obesity. In fact, as one who has battled weight issues for a large percentage of her life, I am really focusing on developing and helping my kids to maintain a healthy relationship to food. Charlotte happens to love the Cookie Monster (for some reason, he totally freaks out Danny), so maybe I should be grateful for this change. Still, I hardly think changing Cookie's Monster's whole schtick is necessary.

What do you think? With childhood obesity's rates climbing as they are, there clearly needs to be some changes to be made. But what changes and in what arena? I think it needs to be a group effort among schools, parents, government officials, and the media, etc. if it is going to work. Maybe it is better to be safe than sorry. Who knows, maybe Charlotte will start saying "Cookies are a sometimes food" instead of "Me want cookies. Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom," though I somehow doubt it.

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

Pat-TAY,

I, too, love Sesame St., and Cookie is also my second favorite character, behind Grover. I even have SS checks! I think the whole thing about Cookie is pretty ridiculous, as well. I mean, come on! It's not really going to help anything, and it just takes away his whole vibe. What is this world coming to? :)