Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review of Joanie Leeds' "What a Zoo!"

What can I say about Joanie Leeds' new kids' cd "What a Zoo?" besides, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it? In fact, if you happen to have a kid like Charlotte, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will dance to this cd if it is playing within earshot. My one complaint is that whenever we play this album in the house, I never get any work done, because my daughter insists on dancing with me for every. single. song.

So, if you are interested in a kids' cd that is rocking and that will get your heart rate up, you've come to the right place!

The cd is sporting a zoo theme, obviously, so all the songs are about animals. Not necessarily an original theme when it comes to kids' cd's, but Leeds puts a decidedly original spin on the songs. This cd is not full of mundane songs about dogs and cats, but boasts ditties about tofurky, mosquitoes and manatees.

My favorite song in the whole album is "Tofurky Song" that is yes, about tofu turkey. That someone would include tofurky on an animal cd wins immediate points in my book. Can you get any funnier? I mean, how can you not smile at these lyrics: "Tofurky's not a turkey. It doesn't run or fly. Looks a little mushy, doesn't have a turkey tushy, but I'll give it a try."

Bil's been singing this tofurky song to Charlotte so often that she has all the lyrics memorized, and it never ceases to crack me up when I hear her singing this song to herself.

"Froggie Went a Courtin'" takes an old favorite and jazzes it up with a hip hop/rap bridge from guest artist Secret Agent 23 Skidoo, which totally freshens up the song and makes it memorable.

"Happy as a clam" includes all kinds of fun animal metaphors or as Leeds calls them, "animal-isms." The entire song consists of different animal colloquialisms that we use in our everyday speech, like "puppy love," "busy bee," "silly goose," and "has the cat got your tongue." And that's just the beginning; in the entire song, she never repeats an animal-ism.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to this cd. The songs are catchy and you never feel like you are listening to a kids' cd, which is a major selling point for me. The lyrics are clever and the songs catchy and fun. But the real test of the cd is that Charlotte just lights up when I put this it in the stereo. She loves the funny and silly imagery and she can't help but dance to the songs.

Come to think of it, neither can I!



No comments: