Thursday, December 1, 2011

Behavior Solutions for the Inclusive Classroom




Behavior Solutions for the Inclusive Classroom by Beth Aune, OTR/L and Beth Burt & Peter Gennaro is fantastic. I cannot say enough great things about this book!

On the cover it says, "See a Behavior....Look it up!" and that is exactly how you use this book. It's almost like an encyclopedia of behaviors one might see in a classroom along with tips on how to deal with them. This book covers everything from "Taking off Shoes" to "Poor Handwriting." The authors explain why the behaviors may be happening and then they offer solutions to the problems.

Let's take a look at one chapter together. "Not Attending/Off Task or Not Following Directions" is my favorite section, perhaps because this is a challenge my own son faces on a daily basis. I like this chapter, because the authors explain that this is not necessarily something a child is doing on purpose. They explain that there are many factors in focusing and being able to pay attention: ADD, sensory overload, auditory processing, etc. I don't think many teachers are aware of this and I find it extremely helpful that the authors point this out to teachers. The authors then offer several possible solutions, such as "provide a quiet space where they can regroup," "Use squeezeballs," etc.

As a former high school teacher, I can tell you that I would have given a lot more than the cost of the books to have this wonderful resource. It's definitely not just for special ed teachers; every single educational professional who works with kids could benefit from these books. This is why I am recommending that parents give these books as Christmas gifts to their kids' teachers.

Rather than bombarding teachers with more apple ornaments, why not give them a tool that will be useful for years to come? Again, as a teacher, I would have preferred this sort of gift over the teacher mugs and even the chocolates.

And, great news for you!

Future Horizons Publishing is offering a special deal to my readers. If you use my code, you will get free shipping--no matter how much you spend--and 15% off your order. You can use this code anytime you shop on Future Horizons and it applies to all supplies, books and even conferences. The code is PH.

So feel free to look around their shop. They have some of the best books on SPD, autism and other special needs out there. Heck, maybe even buy yourself an early Christmas gift. You deserve it!

2 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Wow, I could have totally used this resource a few weeks ago when Sprite ended up in the preschool's director's office for an offense and not listening. So much fun...

Ginny Marie said...

This book looks great! I love the cover! Since all teachers have kids with special needs in their classrooms, this would be a great gift. (I want it for myself, however!)