Monday, May 14, 2012

Foot races and acceptance

My heart sank.

Danny was insisting that I let him play outside, but that was about the last thing I felt like doing at the moment.  We were visiting my mom, and her next door neighbors were having a party.  There was a gaggle of kids in the front yard playing with sidewalk chalk and laughing.

I just didn't want to face this group of kids who were strangers to us.  I didn't want to watch them as they sized up Danny, deciding that he was way too weird to play with.  I couldn't stomach watching them laugh at him or roll their eyes at him.  More than anything, I wanted to convince Danny and Charlotte to go back in the house.  I just wasn't up for refereeing the kids and running interference for Danny.

Danny was chomping at the bit  to get outside and play, and he couldn't figure out why I was stopping him.  Of course, I couldn't tell him that my fear was he'd be rejected by these kids.  Danny loves other kids, but often has difficulty interacting with them.  He doesn't understand many of the playground's inherent social rules, and because of that kids sometimes think he's weird.  He's been called all kinds of names, even the dreaded R-word.



I'm over at Hopeful Parents today.  Click here to read more....

4 comments:

Lizbeth said...

I needed to hear that. All too often I get that feeling where I'm gearing up to defend Alex when we approach humanity. I'm glad these kids were kind and sweet.

Alysia said...

I needed this too! My bubble is my comfort. But it doesn't help my kids. Way to go Danny and mom :)

Sprite's Keeper said...

What some kids find weird, others find cool.
Things I see my nephew do that would strike me as socially awkward or even cringe worthy, my daughter loves. He's a hero to her. :-)

Flannery said...

I love a happy ending! You had me all worried about Danny, but I'm so glad it turned out okay. Best Mother's Day gift ever, right?