Monday, July 16, 2012

Manning Up



Last night at the pool, some kids were picking on Danny. I don't think Danny even realized they were being mean to him, but I couldn't ignore it.  It wasn't too big of a deal; I confronted the kids in an appropriate manner and it ended.


Though it was minor, this incident has been nagging at me for the last 24 hours.  I can't stop thinking about the little jerks who teased Danny; I have written letters to their mothers in my head, I've gone over the interaction, changing my words so that those kids would miraculously understand, and like, my son.  I stopped myself at least a dozen times from posting something about the incident on Facebook; as much as I craved the validation, I knew I should let it go.   


But, I can't seem to, because it's not just this one incident.; there have been others, including some involving the same kid. Also, I can't stop thinking about the future;  I've been consumed by thoughts about what lies in store for my almost nine-year-old son.  Danny's autism makes him very vulnerable.  He doesn't always realize when someone is being mean to him.  


I worry that he'll be bullied.  I worry people will be mean to him; I'm terrified he'll be rejected and heartbroken by his peers.........


I'm over at Hopeful Parents today.  Click here to finish reading this post.




2 comments:

thesensoryspectrumblog.com said...

I'd like to introduce you to Voices of Sensory Processing Disorder. This is a community website where bloggers can share their experiences, victories, tips and everyday challenges with others. And we want you! We’d love to share your writing.

Please visit us at www.voicesofsensoryprocessingdisorder.com to learn more. I do hope you'll join us. Happy blogging!
Regards, Jennifer

thesensoryspectrumblog.com said...

I'd like to introduce you to Voices of Sensory Processing Disorder. This is a community website where bloggers can share their experiences, victories, tips and everyday challenges with others. And we want you! We’d love to share your writing.

Please visit us at www.voicesofsensoryprocessingdisorder.com to learn more. I do hope you'll join us. Happy blogging!
Regards, Jennifer