Friday, February 22, 2013

Dream Vacation


I am not much of a daydreamer.  My mind flits from topic to topic much too quickly for me to really develop a clear, well-defined fantasy.  I'll be imagining some idyllic getaway, only to be interrupted with thoughts of my shopping list or Danny's upcoming dental appointment.

When I saw the topic for the Spin Cycle was Dream Vacation, my first thought was "Dream vacation? ANY vacation would be a dream right now!  But it'll never happen, so why think about it? What's the point?"

I filed the topic in the back of my mind and went about the rest of my day, working, fielding questions about special education law, and worrying about what I was going to make for dinner.  I didn't give the topic much thought until I went to bed.

As I lay awake last night, listening to Bil snore and watching the snow fall outside our window, I actually started daydreaming.  Perhaps because of the winter storm we were having, my mind went to a cabin in the woods. I imagined spending a few solitary days with just Bil in a beautiful, luxurious cabin surrounded by snowy forest.  I added a frozen pond nearby and ice skates waiting for us in the cabin.  Then, I thought, "Oh, we should have some snow shoes and cross country skis, too!"

I enthusiastically envisioned Bil and I sleeping very late on a huge four-poster bed filled with down comforters and cozy pillows.  Then, we would eat a luxurious breakfast and go ice skating or hiking in the woods.   Later, we would come home to a blazing fire and a hot tub where we could thaw out and relax.  It seemed so blissful to me.  We could read by the fire, watch movies late into the night, make out without worrying about a kid interrupting.

No kids to take care of.  No responsibilities, no phone, no email, or even Facebook.  Just a relaxing, quiet, peaceful weekend to spend together with absolutely no interruptions.

I visualized the cabin at night with bright stars studding the dark sky.  It all seemed so romantic....until I thought about how dark and quiet and isolated that cabin was.  So far away from civilization....or help.  I thought of the peculiar noises we would hear, the creaks in the cabin, the movement outside, the drone of chainsaws belonging to the serial killers in the woods.

And then, every stinking horror movie I have ever seen came flooding back to me and I envisioned Bil and I stalked like the family from Cape Fear.

Blood, there was a lot of blood.  And so much screaming.

And this, my friends, is why I do not go in for daydreaming.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For more posts on dream vacations, go to Second Blooming.  I'm sure their accounts of idyllic getaways will be blood-free.

Second Blooming

7 comments:

Jim W said...

still...it might be worth it for the day or so of solitude. Think about it.

Patty O. said...

Jim, you know, I think you're right. I am just desperate enough for some alone time to risk serial killers with chainsaws...

Ginny Marie said...

Oh, you had me until the blood and screaming! And it made me laugh. Who laughs at blood??? Apparently I do! :)

gretchen said...

HAha! You totally got me. You sound just like my husband, Jimmy. NOT a cabin in the woods kind of guy. He can ride a subway in the crummiest part of NY in the middle of the night with no fear at all, but stick him in the woods? He turns into Woody Allen. And yes, he's seen Cape Fear too many times too.

You are linked! Welcome back!

Susan Lindgren said...

Got to love anxiety- It could turn the most beautiful moment into a disaster.

Exie Bethel said...

Oh my, as I read your post, I was also daydreaming, so imagine me screaming when I reached the last part. Haha! Anyhow, I suddenly remembered my trip to a mountain lodge during the winter and how I curled up in front of the hearth. If you’re still afraid to be in a cabin all by yourself, you can try this trip too!

Regards,
Exie Bethel

Lizbeth said...

Bil snores???

I'd love to have a dream vacation without any kids, kitchen duty, cleaning....but then after a day or two I'd miss them and be complaining how I want to go home. Sigh.....