Thursday, October 10, 2013

The color of love

Each time I was pregnant, Bil predicted that this baby would be the one to inherit my blue eyes.  Though Bil's are brown, a dominant characteristic, his dad had blue eyes, so there was a remote chance genetically, that this could happen.  Bil would quote genetic statistics proving that our chances were not as minuscule as I predicted.

The baby would be born and Bil would claim vehemently that he/she had blue eyes, as newborns are wont to do.  But each time, the baby's eyes would invariably change to brown, rather quickly. So quickly that I don't really believe they were ever blue.  It was just a trick of lighting or Bil's very strong wishful thinking.   Bil would look into their giant, beautiful, dark eyes and swear they were still blue, that there was a chance, but I knew better.

All three of my darling children have Bil's big, brown eyes.

And I couldn't be happier for it.


One of these things is not like the others.....

Years ago, I was teaching a Sunday School lesson at church, when I looked out into the sea of faces and I latched onto a pair of big, warm, brown eyes filled with kindness.  When the owner of those eyes approached me and chatted me up, I was instantly smitten.  Bil, he said his name was, and he made me feel good, comfortable, accepted, all because of those eyes.  The smile didn't hurt any, either.

There have been a few people over the years who have mentioned that Bil has kind eyes, and they are right. In my husband's case, I agree that the eyes are the window to the soul.  When I look into his eyes, I see understanding, acceptance, and caring.  

And love.

And now I have three beautiful children with the very same eyes;  beautiful,brown eyes that are full of joy, adventure, mischief, and most, importantly, love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For more posts on the color of love, visit the Spin cycle at Second Blooming or Lemon Drop Pie.


Second Blooming



8 comments:

Kelly said...

The love that the two of you have for each other is truly a thing of beauty.

gretchen said...

Ah! We're both lovers of big brown eyed boys!You know, I bet that Bil would say that blue was the color of love, because of your big blue eyes!

Beautiful post, Patty. Thanks for linking!!

Leigh Merryday said...

Sniff. You're a lucky woman. Bil IS awesome. Somebody hand me a tissue...

Janice Adcock said...

Lovely family!

Angelina Costenaro said...

As a brown-eyed girl, I approve of this post. ;)

I really liked your last line--the most important thing we can see in anyone's eyes (be they brown, hazel, blue, or green) is love. Well said!

Sharon, The Mayor said...

Oh, good spin! Love is in the eyes.

Ginny Marie said...

I love seeing your family picture! Beautiful spin as always, Patty!

David Jhon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.